Monday, March 17, 2008

Let’s understand the difference and appreciate it.



I am trying now. Trying to understand the difference. Difference between a jack fruit and a mango. Traditionally I am habituated to eat both in the summer. Not only because it is mostly, easily and prettily available in Kerala in summer but also because my parents, grand parents and all the uncles and aunts ate it. Just Imagine a big jack fruit with all its thorns and that white sticky substance called “Mulanju” in Malayalam, what is the English word for it ? I don’t know. In
England there is no Jack fruit tree so forget it. Any way compare the jack fruit with a cute smooth skinned mango. A jack fruit has hundreds of seeds in it but a mango just one. Jack fruit is difficult to cut . Mango is easy-peesy for all Indians. ( I have heard about Europeans struggling with mango) Jack fruit is sticky and more smelly. Mango is not. It has moderate tolerable smell. It is juicy. We use all the seeds in the jack fruit but we throw out the just one and the only one seed in the mango. What a difference ! But which one is better ? I can not say. I can not keep a mango beside a jack fruit and belittle it. Some of my clan members say jack fruit is better. They say it has more vitamins and minerals in it and more use. Ok. May be. I am no scientist to argue. But I can not belittle a mango or hundreds of varieties of mango for that matter.

I agree jack fruit may be very good but can I ask the world to use it five times daily or at least every Sunday morning because it is good?. Can I send two evangelists to Alaska to preach about the qualities of jack fruit to Eskimos ? What will the Eskimos think ? Say.. if I say that every Eskimo should eat at least one jack fruit a month! Ha ..ha..ha..

Eskimos live in Igloo. Igloo is house made of Ice. Once two Eskimos were brought to New York when the temperature was below 10 deg. C. Pretty cold for us Indians. Eskimos could not tolerate that temperature. They became sick soon after landing. They had diarrhea and they vomited. They were immediately taken back to their place by plane. Now the Americans learned the difference. The difference is much greater than Boeing and Airbus (The billion dollar contract which India is contemplating). Now I too understood the difference.

Europeans like stiff mangoes. Not the juicy ones. They need special cutter to cut the mangoes. Like our Supari cutter. They cut it in the middle and make two halves. Then they remove the seed from it and fill it with plain cream or Ice cream. Place it in a bowl or hold it in hand and use a spoon to eat. You see now a spoon is a ‘requirement’ to eat a mango. Now I understand the difference and appreciate it.

I was in Chuk-chuk train ( small mountain train - earlier it was fitted with steam engines I like to call them that way because they look like toy trains ) coming down from Shimla. I met two South Indians in the train and felt happy myself being a southerner in the remote north. Engaged them in conversation. They were on an All-India-tour. Talking about many things conversation ended-up with temples in North India. “Oh! full of marbles..” they said “the Idol and the floor alike.. People touching the Idol.. ”. They seemed pretty upset and unhappy about it. Why ? I asked. “No bhakthi.. you see” they said in a chorus. What marble has to do with bhakthi or devotion ? I pondered. I sort of became googly until I discussed the matter with a North Indian friend. She said When her parents visited some South Indian temples they said the same. “What ?” I asked anxiously “ No bhakthi there “.. before I could ask why, she explained “Water and oil everywhere.. in the floor & on the walls, darkness every where, you can not even see the Idol properly forget about touching the Lord’s feet! ..She continued ”my Parents could not stay more than 3 minutes in any Temple in South India”. I had held some of the great temples of south in high esteem. So I became silent for sometime. To be frank I allowed some time for my ego to burn down. I said “I now understood the difference and I appreciate it”.

Now that is it. Differences exist. Difference persists and you can not change it. We can not humanize the jarawas of Andamans. When we do that they become either Hindus, Muslims or Christians. Then no more Jarawas. Let’s have them as Jarawas and live with the difference. A salad bowl with several vegetables is better than a bowl with a single vegetable.

Now whenever I see the difference whether it is north-south, Hindu-Muslim, black & white, bad roads & good roads , development & underdevelopment, good governments & bad governments, happiness & unhappiness, Truth & Lie I have no quarrel with any because I UNDERSTOOD THE DIFFERENCE AND I APPRECIATE IT.



2 comments:

srijithunni said...

Hmm.. that is very thought provoking.. Wonderfully written.. I too have felt the same on seeing the marble temples. If everyone realized and accepted others` differences the world would be a much better place to live in.

That was very interesting to read.

With Best Regards,
Srijith.

Anonymous said...

Chintakal kadu kayarunnuvoh ...? Nay, let me ask, your chintakal 'plavil' kayarunnuvoh...?

Why compare 'chkka' with 'mangha'? Why not with 'Kaitha Chakka' (pineapple). Kaitha Chakka is also having the thorny outer shell and yellowish colored juicy stuff inside. But unlike chakka, 'kaitha chakka' is not having any seeds or 'Kuru'. ('Chakka', the 3rd gender is also not having 'anddy')!
'Kaitha Chakka' cannot be eaten raw; it is not a vegetable while chakka can be eaten raw, can be cooked to make very delicious dishes!
Differences exists..., to pick up your line!

Why not compare 'chakka' with 'Kada Chakka' ? Kad chakka looks like chakka; but it is not a fruit. The Kada Chakka tree is having large greeny leaves and is found in places where water is abundant. When cooked, it becomes spongy and tastes like mutton! And. like pineapple, kada chakka is also seedless.
Differences exists..., to pick up your line!

Why not compare 'mangha' and 'kasu mangha'? 'Kasu Manga' or 'Paranki Mangha' is a tropical fruit, commercially grown in large parts of Kerala. More than the fruit, it is the seed - 'Cashew Nut' for which the tree is largely known. The fruit when ripe gives inviting fleshy, reddish colour and is a raw material for the local brew , the 'arrack'. Unlike 'mangha', 'kasu mangha' is having its seed outside. It doesn't bother about the nudity, unlike our mallu male children seen having covered their 'anddy' in beautiful silk loin cloth!


This 'anddy' is also very dangerous as experienced by our northern brothers. During the 'Emergency' period, some 'hindi' armed reserve police was deployed in our town, Trichur to assist the local police. On their morning march through the street, they saw these trees with lots of raw fruits hanging near the road side and on enquiry they were told that those were 'cashew nut' trees. They started plucking the green coloured tender cashew nuts and started chewing without asking further questions to the locals. Next day local dailies were having the news with photograph of 'hindi' police with their swollen lips in the hospital wards having their mouth and fingers burnt as well!! If 'Manse' is aware of this, they would start planting these trees on all the borders with other states,especially northern, as an effective treatment for imigrants!

It seems you are having hell lot of a time to let your mind wander ... and bring out trivial issues to attract responses like this ....

Good work! Keep it up.


There are "fragrances" which I would like to pick up.... later

Regards.

SOman


(Non-Mallus please note -
'Plavu' is malayalam name for the 'jack fruit tree' or 'Bread Fruit'. Botanical name - Artocarpus hirsutus.
'Chinkakal kadu kayarunnuu' - the malayalam equivalent for saying 'thoughts going wild'.
'Kada Chakka' is also another variety of Bread Fruit.Botanical name - Artocarpus altilis
'Kasu Mangha' - Botanical name - Anacardium occidentale
'Kuru' - seed
'Anddy' - you know better!