Thursday, November 20, 2014

Mother Robin of my courtyard.



It has been 13 or 14 years since I planted the Lychee tree in my courtyard. So far it did not bear any fruit. Recently a friend visited home said the tree is not Lychee it is lololikka (Sour cherry). Whatever it is, I am not disappointed for it not giving me any fruit. In fact I am very happy to see lot of birds perching, resting on this tree. This photo shows, my friend,a mother Robin resting on the tree on a lazy afternoon. Sitting in the Portico, and watching it idly, we communicate each other in subtle ways. My heart is filled with love and affection. Can a bunch of sour cherries or lychees give it? No, I don’t think so. I am not a ‘prayojanavaadi’. Sometimes we need to do things without expecting anything in return. 

By the way the bird is Oriental Magpie Robin. It is very interesting to watch it. A family is staying in our compound. We in KeraLa call it KalyaNi kuruvi, MaNNaaththikkiLi, MaNNaaththippuLLu etc. MaNNaaththi means washerwoman. Most washerwomen are dark because they stay in sun all the time. But they wash clothes well and when they come with bright white Dhothis there is color contrast. Perhaps this bird got that name because of that BW color contrast. This bird is a fantastic singer. It gets up early in the morning say about 4 ‘O’ clock and starts singing. Some times I used to wonder why? I watch through the window and see it just sitting on a tree or electric wire and simply sings. 
It is late-nighter also. It is there till 7:30PM flying and singing around. It becomes quite friendly. In BengaLi it is called Doyel. A very popular name. You know one thing... …It is BangLadEsh’s national bird ! 

No comments: