Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The blogging and website creations

There was no blogging before. For that matter there was no internet either.

I did create a website when Internet came to India. Rediff was first to allow a free web page creation. It was in 1998 I think. As hundreds of people did I also created my page wrote some nonsense in it and included my photograph. On top of that I created some additional pages and put links in the first page. The additional pages were of my family, my hobbies, my favorite web sites etc. etc. That was too much for Rediff. Soon they removed all link pages. But they left the first page in tact. I send the URL (website address for the un-initiated) to many of my friends. They viewed it from different parts of the world!. And when I came to know that from USA, UK, Australia and the Gulf they could view my page I felt elated ;). Became Proud! You see if I make a small change in my website immediately, I mean literally immediately, all could see that change. Is n’t it amazing! I told my wife and some close friends about this they could not understand anything. Internet was something new. It was for them to send email. Just a replacement of fax machine.

I had a small business in those days. So we put up a board outside - " Internet and email services undertaken". Many people came with their letters and an email address. Some people brought letters written in Malayalam I had to translate it to send via email. Translation was free of charge. Some of the contents were very intimate. Poor guys! They did not mind if I knew it. Since they do not have computer or do not know how to operate a computer I put my address as from address. The original senders very often came back to check whether there is any reply. In short my office soon turned out to be a Post office.

So one day a grey haired gentleman came and handed over a small packet to me and asked me to send it through email urgently. I took the packet and felt that something is there in it. What is in it? I asked the man curiously. To my utter surprise he said that it is his son’s hostel room keys which he forgot to take. He is studying in a far away Engineering college and he just started this morning and this should reach there before he reaches. In those days Idea mobile was not there otherwise I would have said “what an Idea!”. Internet has come a long away. Now even my son has a fantastic blogs. I am afraid I can not compete.

No comments: